Sheridan Township, Calhoun County, Michigan
Conservation Area: Brandt Woods – 101.6 Acres
Location: Sheridan Township, Section 7 and Section 8
Street Address: 25297 H Drive North, Marshall, MI 49068
Conservation Area Description
North branch of Rice Creek defines most of the northern boundary. At the eastern boundary there is a narrow 310’ strip that extends from the main parcel to H Drive North. Vernal pools and intermittent waterways out letting into Rice Creek provide an ideal habitat for native spring wildflowers and warblers. Approximately 70 of the 101.6 acres consist of a well-developed beech-maple forest.
Education and Research
Brandt Woods has been studied and appreciated as an outdoor biological laboratory for professors and students of Olivet College, Albion College, and Michigan State University. Concerned citizens addressed issues at the time of the first proposed timber harvest in the 1980’s. During that time, the group consisting of professors and naturalists formed a coalition to protect the well-loved woods.
A children’s summer nature camp was held at Brandt Woods under the direction of Terah Egnatuk, then CCD Education Specialist.
Rotational timber harvests to manage properties are conducted periodically. A timber harvest at Brandt Woods was last done in the spring of 2018.
Hunting Lease Rights Brandt Woods is leased yearly from October1st to January 31st for private hunting rights. During this time, visitors are not allowed to hike on the property, for reasons of safety.
Brandt Woods was donated in 1963 to the Calhoun Conservation District by Charles Brandt, a well-known local naturalist. During the 1950’s, after many conversations with Michigan State University colleagues and friend Burrell (B.E.) Henry, Calhoun County Agricultural Director, Mr. Brandt laid the groundwork to deed his woodland in perpetuity for conservation studies. Mr. Brandt retained a life lease on his property to manage as he wished, during his lifetime.